Fall is my second favorite season of the year. Mostly because I am a sucker for blooms and the hope that spring brings after a grim, cold winter makes my heart sing. (I am literally smiling at the thought of spring) Anyhoooo, the trees changing colors, the falling leaves & nip in the air has a romance of it’s own. All the fall & autumn/winter catalogues make dressing up for cooler days look so effortless. Models dressed in fuzzy knits or moto jackets and knee highs, warm colors on all the glossy pages or well in today’s world on laptop & smart phone screens! For someone who hasn’t experienced the winds, the change in temperature from standing in the sun to walking in the shadow of the tall buildings, it takes some learning. So if you are moving to a colder city or country this fall, make notes & thank me later :p
What you need to feel comfortable and look fabulous in autumn
- Boots: Duh! Don’t roll your eyes, the choice of foot wear for fall can range from Chelsea boots or ankle booties to knee highs. Considering the type of outfits you usually wear, pick what works best. I dob’t want to let go of my shorts & dresses, but feel the cold on my legs, so I pick knee highs as my go to shoes. Luckily for me tall boots are very in this season.
- Light Jacket: Again the choices can drive you nuts! Choose from a fur vest, shearling lined jacket, trench coat, long cardigan or a leather jacket. I have a fur vest, oversized cardigan & trench on my wish list, but I think a leather or faux leather works very well. It’s versatile & can be used to dress up or down your outfit.
- Stockings: This is the time of the year when you can add stockings under your summer dress. I don’t care for the regular black ones and have tons of colors like purple, teal, burgundy. I have yellow & rust on my list next!
- Socks: This season has seen a lot of knee high socks, inspired by the school uniform or maybe 40’s war era perhaps?Either way, this trend is everywhere & if you want to skip the stockings, try a pair of socks paired with oxfords or other lace ups to keep you warm!
- Hats & Scarves: Of course no outfit is complete without an accessory. Choose between a floppy hat or a slinky silk around your neck!
I styled my summer shorts with a simple tank, colored stockings & knee highs for an early autumn evening in the woods.
Shot this post with Matt Iwasko. Here’s some more of our work together in Country Girl and Madras Checks. If you are an ardent Instagram user, check out #1000moreportraits. It’s a hashtag and page started by Matt to promote & celebrate underrated photographers.
Tank: Vero Moda
Faux leather jacket: Forever 21