We all grew up with certain do’s and don’t when it comes to fashion; one of them being never mix, match and wear prints together. Prints were supposed to be worn with solid colors to highlight the prints. But one of the hottest trend print on print is slowly seeping in deeply in the fashion scene from New York and London fashion week to closer home with designers like Masaba, Ka – Sha and Quirkbox mixing prints in their collections.
Print on print can be tricky one can’t just pile on the prints; it needs to look well-executed, rather than random chaos. When done right, mixed prints screams fashionista; so don’t be shy in trying this out with the following sneaky tips
- When mixing prints, it is imperative to have a common base color for the different print. In this outfit, I have blue as the base color.
- Start by mixing safe prints, like stripes and floral or graphic print with polka dots like this outfit. The key is not what matches, but rather, what pairs well together.
- The most important rule when wearing prints is to wear the right size for your body type. Petite woman should stick to a small prints, even while mixing prints do not mix oversize prints if you petite and vice versa.
- Keep texture in mind while mixing prints, texture could be considered a pattern if the pattern is obvious like lace.
- One pattern should be dominant and should stand out from the rest, while the rest should be smaller prints to support.
Pants and Tee – Gift from sister from Platinum mall, Bangkok
Shoes – Brogues ( Haute, M block market, GK 1)
Sunglasses – Ray Ban fold-able wayfarers
Bag – bus conductor vintage bag from mom’s closet
Photo credit – RajGopal Singh.